Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bringing back the sun.


Glitter and be gay
That's the part I play.
Here I am, unhappy chance.
Forced to bend my soul
To a sordid role,
Victimized by bitter, bitter circumstance.
Richard Wilbur

I do not remember the day fun left. I certainly cannot recall at what time laughter ceased resonating through this house. When did we stop laughing at life, choosing instead to entangle ourselves in the politics and drama of other peoples' trivia? There are so many suffering real hardship, it is quite embarrassing to admit to being caught up in what amounts to a high school popularity contest. And grounding when you look around at those friends struggling yet still managing to retain wit and whimsy. For all my flaws, a lack of humour was never before one of them.

It was not so very long ago I was running around after my little boys, giggling hysterically being the Mummy Monster holding the secret smelly sock weapon. Now all I seem to do is nag, lecture and worry what actions others are plotting. But I made a decision today: I am going to take back control and relaunch our life of laughter. I am walking away from the small town trash and embracing all that is good in my life. My children, my husband, my mother and my wonderful friends. Be they old or new or, as someone I adore said, imaginary internet friends, I am very grateful to have them in my life. So, to all of you out there in interweb land, I send you wishes of joy.

Oh, and bring back the smiles, I sure as hell intend to. Or at least die trying.

No comments: