Saturday, May 7, 2011

Motherhood & The Things We Take For Granted - Weekend Grateful

I believe everything happens for a reason.

The painful implosion of a friendship - necessary to give you much needed space to realise how toxic it was in the first place.

The financial struggles of day to day life - required so when these times ease you appreciate it so much more.

The agony of loss - to remember the joy of having them in your life at all.

The fear of a mother. A reminder to make you realise the importance of appreciating what you still have, not drowning in what you have lost.

This Sunday is Mother's Day here in Australia. A day to celebrate the joy of motherhood, to spoil those that deserve it. It should be at least once a month as far as I am concerned. Why? Because we Mums are absolutely fricken awesome! Because we Mums are NEVER off duty. Because we Mums support our children unconditionally and are ourselves the last to be supported in a lot of situations.

This Sunday is my first Mother's Day without my

You can imagine how I have been feeling about that one.  As the date approached I felt physically ill at the thought of being without her, and asked Big Boy to please arrange for us to be away from here for the day. I could not bear to think of being home on this day without her.

Now, as I said I believe things happen for a reason. I also believe my beautiful mother is somewhere using her strength, persuasiveness and sheer obstinance to continue to look out for me and my family. Things have happened since she left this world, things that have no other explanation than her pulling out the big guns, and I continually feel her love and strength protecting and supporting me.

My Mum. The only person on this earth who could keep me in line, the only one to calm my raging anger, the sane voice of reason when I was threatening dire retribution to any who crossed me, the one who pulled me into line and made me look at things from a more realistic and logical direction.

The centre of our family - October 1996

This week I had a very sick child. My second son. I won't go into details, suffice to say he had the medical profession and his parents totally baffled. And scared. Terrified in fact.

Obviously, after nearly a week, he is on the road to recovery. I would not be posting otherwise.

We still have no idea what this was, but I am so incredibly grateful he is getting better. And somewhere in the back of my mind is the thought that maybe it was a Wise Woman kick up the proverbial... A reminder to make you realise the importance of appreciating what you still have, not drowning in what you have lost.

Thanks Mum. I am now looking forward to tomorrow without any shadows. Well, maybe only a little one, but you wouldn't expect me not to miss you at all, would you...
 
 
This is my Weekend Grateful.




 
 
 

5 comments:

Melissa {Suger} said...

Thinking of you this weekend lovely. Big hugs. xoxo

Glad to hear he's on his way to feeling 100%. A reminder of what you have indeed.

E. said...

Glad Boy 2 is better.

I've been thinking about you with Mother's Day approaching. I hope this first Mother's Day without you precious Wise Woman is okay.

I hope you can celebrate your own motherhood and remember your own mother with fondness and laughter.

Good Luck... I will be thinking of you all.

TheThingsIdTellYou said...

I've been thinking of you all week. You'll certainly be in my heart tomorrow.

I'm glad Boy 2 is on the road to recovery. I'm so sorry he had to be so sick in the first place.

Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit said...

I've been thinking of you too MM as Mothers' Day approaches.
"I continually feel her love and strength protecting and supporting me." That's beautiful ...
So pleased to hear Boy 2 is ok. Watching him so sick would have been horrendous ...

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. The first year is always the hardest but you will get through it. Cathy